To receive an Excellent rating, the individual must engage in professional consulting which reflects recognition of the individual’s expertise.
I am often sought out as a consultant for projects in technology management, algorithm development, or data analysis. Evidence is provided through the links below where available.
Associated Universities, Inc. (AUI), Washington, DC – Jan 2013 – Nov 2014
- Throughout 2013, I’ve been working with AUI on strategy and positioning for the recompetition of their “Cooperative Agreement from NSF to Manage and Operate the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO)”. Bob Brown (former Director of Arecibo Observatory), John Mester (VP AUI) and I are writing an 80-page proposal to NSF to cover nearly $1B of committed funding from 2015 to 2025.
- I have also been advising the development of interorganizational metrics for linking AUI strategy to the operations of the individual facilities it manages. This involves identifying strategic themes, and choosing or developing the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that reflect the value AUI adds to the national labs it manages.
- I am also working to develop a citation-based metric to ascertain the science productivity of a facility as part of ongoing unpublished research.
UpHex, Charlottesville, VA – Dec 2012+
- On an informal basis, I have been advising development of an integrated web-based business analytics platform for small business. This mostly involves reviewing the algorithms selected by UpHex to ensure that their assumptions are correct and that they are applied the right analytical tools the right way.
National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON), Boulder, CO – 2009, 2010
- I worked with NEON to develop the strategy and operations plan for the cyberinfrastructure component of their observatory. They used this plan to pass their Critical Design Review in Fall 2009, and their Final Design Review in Fall 2010.
- I developed and published the concept of “normalized multi-period total cost of ownership” to aid in software infrastructure operations planning at the Institute for Software Engineering (ISE) in St. Louis, MO in May 2010.
National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO), Charlotesville VA – 2009, 2010
- I developed a workforce management plan according to criteria for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award (MBNQA).
- I led the development of Observatory-wide metrics for operations performance management; my KPI spreadsheets are still in use today.
OrderTopia LLC, Charlottesville, VA – 2009, 2010
- I advised the development of a pilot mobile app for placing orders from local restaurants.